Trisha Phoon


46Cm X 52Cm. Oil On Canvas. The Access Freak! Phillip Carrero.

This is the first of many portraits I did of my old friend. She was still living in  Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Trisha Phoon has another name but not many can remember, all I know is that it sounds like “Trisha”.

I knew about her when we were both working in the Microsoft newsgroups as  MVP, “most valued professionals” helping others with Ms Access, the Ms database app. Truth is I managed to answer may be 85% of the queries while that remaining 15% was incredibly hard to tackle. At times like those I called on my ever faithful friend Trisha. Without fail, problems or equations that normally took me weeks to solve she could answer in about 5 minutes flat! Incredible analitical mind like none I’ve seen before or since.
Trisha freelanced at computer and trade shows. Last I heard Access Basic, where I ended my adventures in code, were only her beginnings, too easy. She was, and am sure still is, in the cover and dedication of every book ever written about high-end  database design. She married to Richard one day and went to live at Wimbledon, UK where they are both as happy as can be. I had the honor to paint a portrait of them on their wedding day, plus many charcoals to show my students.

By Phillip

Currans Hill artist Phil Carrero started as an impressionable 16 year old drawing charcoal portraits through the streets of Buenos Aires. He worked his way up from drawing to painting and begun to sell his works around that time. Coming to Australia in 1973 , at the age of 23, Mr Carrero continued his studies in Art and completed an apprenticeship for four months to get himself better acquainted with portraiture painting. Meanwhile, for almost ten years produced and sold many ship portraits and marine paintings. -After that I begun getting around 12 commissions a year for just portraits. That's the point when he begun to make a living out of painting-, he said. He paints in the Traditional, Realistic style ... English and Italian schools, his portraits can resemble the Grand Manner style of the 19th and 20th centuries in England and later, America. (extracted from "Artist has brush with thieves", Macarthur Advertiser, January 2004)